The McDonald Centre is sponsoring an exciting conference at the University of Manchester entitled Big Society, Bigger Nature? Speakers come from across the disciplines, but include theologians like John Milbank, Esther Reed, Luke Bretherton and Jonathan Chaplin. The one-day event will address important questions about the Big Society and wider Nature that have not yet been raised, including:
- How does the Big Society acknowledge its dependence on a wider Nature?
- Can the Big Society restrain the anti-ecological practices of the modern state?
- Are we free, as humans, to volunteer Nature as a participant in the Big Society?
- What is the relationship between civil society and economic markets?
- Will attention to civil society obscure the moral responsibilities of the modern state?
- Should citizenship trump participation in the Big Society?
- What is the relevance of Catholic Social Teaching to the Big Society?
The conference is October 1. For full details, visit the conference website.